Friday, September 14, 2012

Digi Dessert Fridaze - Pirate Get Well & Don't Be Blue!


Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and HEALING to the bones.
Proverbs 16: 24



Welcome to the first of many new offerings in connection with Cooking with Cricut / Paper Crafting World.  In addition to the Challenges for which I design on Tuesdays, we’ve started a few new things this fall and this is one of them.  We’ll be featuring Melin’s Digital Files each week on Friday and how we’ve used them on a project.  She’ll also have a Free Digi File each Friday for You to enjoy!

I recently heard that my twin 3-year-old Great-Nephews were having their tonsils out this week in another state.  They really like all-things-Pirate, so I decided to make a Pirate Get Well Card for them, using the ‘Bear as a Pirate’ digi file from CWC/PCW.  

Digital file

 Here is my card -


Front of card - closed and tied

Front of card- closed without tie

Side panels open

Open all the way
Here are some details of what I did to make it –
            *  I cut a piece of light tan cardstock to be an 8.5” square.
            *  Using my Martha Stewart Score Board, I scored each of the 4 sides at 2 1/8” – then cut out the 4 corners, so that the 2 opposing sides can be folded in and then the remaining 2 opposing sides folded to close the card.
            *  I printed 2 copies of the digi, sized to fit the front of the card and reversing one of them.
            *  I embossed 2 pieces of Kraft cardstock with the ‘woodgrain’ folder in my Cuttlebug and then lightly inked them with Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distressing Ink. 
            *  I adhered the ‘Pirates’ to the Kraft paper panels and added some small ‘pearls’ to brighten it and coordinate with the colors on the digi.
            *  I found a photo of a Ship’s Wheel online, copied it, printed it and cut it out to then adhere it to the inside panel.
            *  I used my little individual letter stamps for the inside sentiment and added a few ‘antiqued brass’ square gems for accent.
            *  I found a photo and article online about the Whydah Galley 1716 – an actual pirate ship that was discovered in 1984 of the Cape Cod coast, having been sunk in 1717.  I printed a copy of it, tore and then inked the edges and adhered it to the inside panel.  I also printed the article to include with the card – I’m very much into the ‘education aspect’ of everything concerning children!
  * smile *
            *  I then tied a striped grosgrain ribbon loosely to close the front and conceal the opening.

History of the Whydah Galley 1716


This is a card I made with this week’s FREEBIE!   

The Digi file

The Card -


I love the shade of blue of the berries and was excited that I had paper to match!  I made this one for My Dear Aunt in MI and made another matching one for a Dear Friend in MI, also – Two Very Special women in my life!  I cut the blue piece at 3 ¼ x 5” to punch with a MS Lace Punch for the mat.  I printed the picture on light gray cardstock - the same as the card itself.  I also scored 3 lines at the top and at the bottom.  I had some very tiny Blue Stars which I added to the berries.

Melin has a large selection of Digital and Cutting files on her site, so be sure and check them all out! Go see what the other Designers have come up with this week and then -  Pick out a digi file – make a project – and link to her site – Cooking with Cricut – Paper Crafting World.  Link up your creation using the Freebie for this week's post. It will stay open for a few weeks, but we will select one random link next week to win an extra digi of their choice from PCW! So be sure to join the fun! See you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking time to come visit and comment! I love hearing from my reader Friends! ;-}